Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Open Mind Open Heart

Here's an important tip about always keeping an open mind when listening, experiencing and looking at new and different things that come into our lives.  One of the things that I have always prided myself in is to always keep an open mind.  There are several ways to do this which I think keeps that door and your mind open.
  1. Always try and listen actively
  2. Don't be immediately judgmental
  3. Respond rather than react
Let's examine these 3 points more in-depth.
1.  When you are in the active listening mode you are more open to hearing all points that are being made.  This will allow you to take into consideration what is being put out there for you to think about.  If you have all the facts, you are better prepared to analyze and contemplate how this impacts you or how you actually feel about the topic.  Good or bad, you will have given this topic a fair shake.  Obviously a lot will depend on the source of the information, credibility or context it is being derived from. 
2.  Try to not go into the listening mode immediately judgmental.  Give the conversation or experience a fair shake.  Even if you disagree, it is imperative that you do so respectfully.

Example:  I recently asked a good friend about attending a function at my house.  Because I had also invited a her relative where there was a minor conflict that had not been resolved as of yet, she respectfully declined the invitation.  I really appreciated her honesty and totally understood her dilemma. 

3.  One of the most important point I always live by is to Respond rather than React.  This to me is the most difficult for many people.  Often times people want to immediately react.  I am sure many of you have been in situations like this.  By taking the time to take a deep breath and put your thoughts together in a logical and respectful way, this will put you miles ahead in dealing with many areas of conflict, disagreements, or even opinions on certain topics. 

My challenge to you is to put your listening skills to work and always remember the benefits of Responding rather than Reacting.

No comments:

Post a Comment