Friday, January 9, 2015

Support Community

The value of expanding your network of friends and business relationships is very important.  This is one way of feeling like your connected.  As you get older this becomes a critical part of your well being. 
Staying connected is critical.  I remember during the holidays a friend of mine asked me why I was sending out so many Christmas Cards.  He said to me, "With technology being so utilized in our day and age why would you do that? Can't you just send them an E card?  Stamps are expensive."  I send lots of Christmas cards out each year for a couple of personal reasons. 
  1. I love to stay in touch with those very special friends in my life that have made a difference in mine.
  2. After I lost a dear friend of mine (Jeff) years ago, he taught me the value of being vigilant at sending out Christmas Cards on December 1st to your very special friends and acquaintances.  The reason why you should send them out on the 1st of December, he felt this would put them into the Christmas spirit for the whole month.
The other thing I have done to still maintain an old fashion connection is to randomly send a card or note to people I care about when I am thinking about them.  I know how much I love to get a card in the mail from someone I care about.  I just feel that this person has taken the time and effort to personally reach out to me even if it is just to say hi.  Because of that, I try to do the same and I have been validated that they appreciate my effort.  I just feel if I am not always close enough to give them a hug, a nice card of support will at least keep our connection alive.

Building your support group of true and trusting friends only adds to your connections to your personal community.  I always have prided myself in the business relationships and friends I have chosen to maintain all these years.  My tip to all of you is to make a difference this year and connect with your very valuable support system.  You never know when you will need them even if it is to share and provide each other encouragement.  By reaching out you will continue to add balance and harmony in your life for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment